2.07.2008

What's your favorite thing?

so this site was created for a class project a project on the importance of knowing the cultural background in the bible and how knowing the background can hopefully change people's lives. This is something I believe in hence I spent an entire semester working on a project about it.
Well the project is long done it is now a year later and I decided recently to start using this to randomly record my thoughts about God or life. The name of it.. Beyond the surface seems appropriate, because these thoughts will be ones that go beyond the surface level of life that so many of us (myself included) seem to live in. My name Shema Ani is still fitting since it purely means hear me. These are my thoughts so if you are reading this you are in turn "hearing me" so it works.
My best friend asked me a question today mid-conversation and somehow that question seemed like a good place to start.

What is your Favorite thing about Jesus??

When she asked I paused for a second and thought about it. It was a huge question and one that seemed almost inappropriate to answer quickly. I thought about his love for me and how he died taking my sins upon himself, the symbolicalness and sacredness of the Lord's supper,  His grace and mercy that he continually pours ALL over me regardless of what I do, I thought about His character the things that made him who he was like how radical he was in the time and how he changed his world and those around him, I thought of his greatest commandment to love God with all that we are and to love our neighbors as well and how this has challenged me in my life - all with a few seconds mind you. And than I answered - my favorite thing would be how we looked at everyone the same. He helped all people, he was a man of justice. He loved the prostitute and the  rich man alike.  Those that were rejected by society he held close to him. I don't consider myself someone that looks at people around me differently or is prejudice against certain "groups" of people. But I know there are times when I'll judge someone by how they look or take part in some stereotype without even realizing that I am. There are so many ideals and concepts so ingrained into us by society its kinda sick. 
In so many ways I am definitely a person who loves people around me, who does see everyone as a child of God and deserving of the same treatment. I deeply desire to make a true impact in this world and to serve those that are struggeling whether they be that rich man or that prostitiute. So in a way maybe thats why I said it was my favorite thing today, becuase I resonate with it.  
As I continued to think about this idea, I started to think about if Jesus has favorites. As much as I love all people - there are those people that I call back sooner or who will get a priority with my time and energies. Although this is normal of any person and even Jesus had those 12 disciples he poured into and those 3 that were closer to him. It still made me think.  Like how does this principle (of loving all no strings attached) apply to even the way I treat my various friends, those I do ministry with, and the high school kids I talk to every week. 
Do I truly love them all with the same love?    in all honestly I would say I don't, at least not the same amount of love. There are those that are my favorites...  so I ask - did Jesus have favorites?   I believe that God aka Jesus loves all people equally  ->  I strive to be more like God and to love those around me as he would have me to... so  ....  how do I love?    Trust me I also realize I am not God and he is capable of things I can only imagine, but I still ask myself how does he want me to love ____ (fill in person's name). What does that look like?  
I know that I will continue to think about this today, but those are my initial thoughts on it. A lot of questions and not a ton of answers. 

Although this is probably not my all time answer to this question about my Jesus. It is my thought today and I thought it was worth sharing. 

1 comment:

Meredith said...

i like your comments...and i like that you do continue to think about things throughout the day. you have some amazing thoughts going on in the mind of yours...i love you so much friend. want to talk to you about all of this soon.